How I Wrote "The Café Across Carter Road": A Bandra Love Story Born Over a Flat White

There's a version of this book that only exists because I got lost in Bandra on an ordinary evening, ended up at a café I'd never been to before, and couldn't leave.

That café is now the reason The Café Across Carter Road exists at all.

It Started With a Wrong Turn in Bandra

Author Yash Gadade visited "The Library Cafe" in Bandra

I wasn't looking for a story that day. I was just wandering, the way you do in Bandra when you have nowhere to be and every lane looks like it's hiding something. Somewhere between Carter Road and the quieter side streets, I walked into The Library Cafe, ordered a flat white, and sat down by the window.

I didn't leave for two years. Not literally, but in every sense that matters to a writer, that table became home base for the entire book.

There was something about that café, the low hum of conversation, people reading alone at corner tables, the promenade just visible if you leaned the right way toward the window — that felt like it already had a love story sitting inside it, waiting for someone to notice.

So I gave it one.

The Song That Wrote Half This Book: SHIKWA by Talhah Yunus

If you ask me what The Café Across Carter Road sounds like, I won't describe a playlist. I'll tell you about one song: SHIKWA by Talhah Yunus, produced by Jokhay.

Kya meri bas ho gayi?
Ya tu latt hai koi?
Ummeedein sab so gayi
Zameen magar chhat to nahi

I had it on loop, genuinely, embarrassingly on loop, through some of the most important chapters of this book, including the ones set right there on Carter Road, under a yellow umbrella, in the silence between two people who both know exactly what they want to say and still don't say it.

There's an ache in that song that matches the emotional register of Adi and Fatima's story almost too well, the longing, the restraint, the sense of something unspoken sitting just beneath the surface. Some books get written in silence. This one got written with SHIKWA playing on repeat while I stared at a blank manuscript, much like Adi does in the opening pages.

If you've read the book and felt that particular kind of quiet ache in the Carter Road scenes, now you know where it came from.

Why Carter Road, and Why a Library Café

Mumbai has no shortage of dramatic backdrops. I didn't want drama. I wanted a love story that could survive in the in-between spaces, a promenade railing, a shared umbrella, a café table where two strangers keep almost-meeting.

Carter Road does something most literary settings don't: it lets people watch each other without ever having to explain why. Joggers, walkers, couples, old men playing cards, someone always staring out at the sea for reasons they'll never say out loud. It's the most natural place in Mumbai for two people to notice each other from a distance and build an entire emotional world around that noticing, long before they ever speak.

And the library café, a real place, my actual go-to spot for a flat white became the perfect stage for the second act: the note left inside a borrowed book, the barista unknowingly playing messenger, the slow-burn correspondence that says more than either character is brave enough to say to each other's face.

I didn't invent that café's atmosphere. I just borrowed it, the way Adi borrows Fatima's books.

Writing a Dual-Timeline Slow Burn: The Hardest Part

The Café Across Carter Road isn't told in a straight line, and that was deliberate — and difficult.

The story moves between:

  • The two years of notes, Pali Village afternoons, Marine Drive nights, and Ganpati evenings where Adi and Fatima build a relationship almost entirely in the margins of borrowed novels
  • The present, two years later, when a yellow umbrella reappears at the same railing across Carter Road

Structuring a slow burn across two timelines means the reader has to feel the weight of everything left unsaid twice over, once as it happens, and once in the ache of knowing how long it took to be said properly. That balance took more drafts than I'd like to admit. But it's also the structure that let the ending land the way it needed to.

A Story About What We Write Instead of Say

At its core, this book is about a very specific, very human habit: writing the things we're too afraid to say out loud.

Adi doesn't approach Fatima under that yellow umbrella. He leaves an unsigned note in a book instead. That single choice, smaller, quieter, safer than a real conversation, becomes the entire architecture of their relationship for two years. Notes instead of confessions. Margins instead of declarations. A shared barista instead of a shared decision to just say it.

If you've ever loved someone in the safety of what's unsaid, a draft you never sent, a note you never signed, this book was written for you.

If You Loved These, You'll Love This Book

The Café Across Carter Road is written for readers who love:

  • Quiet, character-driven contemporary romance
  • Slow-burn love stories told partly through letters, notes, or margins
  • Mumbai-set fiction that lingers in ordinary, unglamorous places — a café, a promenade, a shared umbrella
  • Dual-timeline stories where the past and present slowly close the distance between them

Where the Story Lives Now

Every time I'm back at The Library Cafe in Bandra with a flat white in front of me, I think about how strange it is that a random walk down Carter Road turned into an entire book — two years of a manuscript, one song on repeat, and a café table that quietly became the birthplace of Adi and Fatima's story.

If Carter Road, borrowed books, and things left unsaid sound like your kind of love story, The Café Across Carter Road is waiting for you.

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.