People keep asking me the same question ever since I announced The Café Across Carter Road book: "Why this story? Why now?" So I figured the most honest way to answer is to just sit down and write it out myself, the way I'd tell it to a friend over chai.
This isn't a polished press release. This is me, the author, explaining why The Café Across Carter Road book exists, what it means to me, and why, for now, you'll only find it as an ebook.
The Moment This Book Was Born
I didn't set out to write "a romance novel" at first. I set out to write down something I kept noticing on Carter Road in Bandra, Mumbai while I just roam around cafes. The way people fall for each other quietly, in glances and small repeated moments, long before anyone says anything out loud.
That's the whole seed of The Café Across Carter Road book: a boy named Adi, staring at a blank manuscript, who notices a stranger under a yellow umbrella across the promenade where I also sit and notice people from Library Cafe. He doesn't know her name yet. Neither did I, when I first pictured this scene. The story grew from there.
Why I Kept Coming Back to This Story
I've started and abandoned a few manuscripts over the years. This one refused to let me abandon it. Every time I stepped away, I'd find myself thinking about Adi and Fatima again, about the notes they leave each other inside borrowed library books, about Ba, Fatima's sharp-tongued grandmother who reads faster than anyone can keep her in books, about Harshita the barista who becomes their unknowing go-between.
I wrote The Café Across Carter Road book because I wanted a love story that felt like it could actually happen to someone you know. No grand gestures. No movie-perfect timing. Just two people who are too nervous to speak directly, and a city, Bombay that keeps testing whether they'll ever say the thing they mean.
What This Book Is Really About
At its heart, The Café Across Carter Road book is about the space between what we feel and what we actually say. Adi and Fatima spend the whole story circling that gap through notes, through silence, through a career opportunity that could take Fatima away from Mumbai entirely, through a family health crisis that forces a decision neither of them wants to make. It's about a relation without a tag.
Some things get said. Some things don't. It takes two years, and one more yellow umbrella, for them to finally finish the sentence they left hanging.
If you've ever loved someone slowly, over shared spaces instead of dramatic moments, I wrote this book for you.
Why It's an Ebook For Now
I want to be upfront about this: right now, The Café Across Carter Road book is available as a Kindle ebook, with the paperback following soon after. That's a deliberate first step, not a limitation I'm apologizing for. Releasing as an ebook first means the story gets into readers' hands faster, it's more accessible price-wise for a debut, and it lets me hear directly from early readers before the print run lands.
So if you've been waiting for a paperback, good news, you won't be waiting long. Here's exactly how the launch is rolling out.
Launch Dates: Ebook and Paperback
Here's the timeline for The Café Across Carter Road book:
- Ebook (Kindle Edition): Launches October 1st — and it's open for pre-book right now.
- Paperback: Launches October 10th, just over a week later.
If you're a Kindle reader, you don't have to wait at all, pre-book now and the ebook lands on your device the moment it launches on October 1st. If you'd rather hold the physical copy in your hands, mark October 10th on your calendar.
Pre-Order The Café Across Carter Road Book Today
The Café Across Carter Road: Not Your Typical Bombay Love Story launches as a Kindle Edition on October 1st, with the paperback following on October 10th. Pre-book is open right now.
If you've read this far, I'd genuinely love for you to be one of the first people to read it. Pre-booking also helps more than you'd think, it's one of the biggest signals that helps a debut book find its readers.
📖 Pre-book The Café Across Carter Road book now, ebook arrives October 1st, paperback follows October 10th.
Thank you for reading this far, and for considering giving Adi and Fatima's story a chance. It started as one image on a promenade in Bandra — I hope it lands somewhere in you the way it did in me.