The Ending of Letters That Never Crossed Nainital, Explained (By the Author)

Spoiler warning, obviously. If you haven't finished the book yet, bookmark this and come back. I'm not going to soften anything below.

I get some version of the same message every week now. People finish the book, and before they even tell me whether they liked it, they ask the same thing: so did they actually get back together, or not? I've been dodging a clean answer in my DMs because the honest one is longer than a DM reply. Here it is properly.

What actually happens at the end

Jay, the present-day post office worker who's spent the whole book slowly working through Aarav and Meera's undelivered letters, finally reaches the last envelope and that's the gist of the story. He's been bracing for tragedy the entire time. Letters that stop mid-story, a gap of months where nothing arrives, a flood that shuts down the roads between Haldwani and Ranikhet right when it matters most. Every signal points toward a love story that simply drowned somewhere in the hills and never resurfaced.

Then Aarav and Meera walk up to him. In person and trust me, the distance from Haldwani and Ranikhet is much more than it seems. Decades older, sitting on a bench by the same lake, married, with grown children, having moved back to Nainital after retirement specifically because, in Meera's words in the book, it's where they first learned how to wait. Remember chapter 6 and the quote? "Even if you don't come, I'll wait" from the book Letters That Never Crossed Nainital.

Jay picks up the old ledger, the one that logs every parcel and letter that's ever passed through that post office, and finds the entry for their bundle still marked Hold from decades ago. He draws a line through it and writes, in fresh ink over the old:

Delivered.

That's the ending. Not a wedding. Not a dramatic confrontation. A word written in a ledger, fifty years late, closing a loop that never technically closed on paper but clearly did, somewhere, in real life till the story ends.

The part I'm not going to explain

Here's where I have to be honest with you, because I think dodging this in my DMs has done the book a disservice. I never wrote the scene where young Aarav and young Meera actually find their way back to each other after the flood cuts off their letters. You don't get it. Jay doesn't get it either; he just gets the after, the two of them at the lake decades later, already married, already whole.

That gap is deliberate. Not laziness, not an editing cut I regret; a choice. I wanted the book to be honest about something: we almost never get to see the mechanics of how two people actually find their way back to each other. We see the before, the distance, the waiting. And then, if we're lucky, we see the after, two people, older, sitting on a bench, having clearly figured it out. What happened in between is theirs. I didn't think it was mine to write, and I still don't, but you can always imagine 100 possible ways.

So if you're asking me directly, did the flood stop them, or did they find another way through, I'm going to give you the same answer I give everyone. I don't know that it matters which one is literally true. What I know is that by the time we see them again, "Not because I expect you not to, but because I want you to know that waiting is something I am willing to do" had clearly turned into something that held. However that happened is yours to decide. I mean that seriously, not as a cop-out.

What the epilogue is actually doing

The book doesn't end with Aarav and Meera. It ends with Jay. After the ledger is closed and the bench is empty again, he goes back to the lake alone, watches a young couple nearby arguing over a slow reply on a phone, and thinks about what it used to mean when a letter simply took weeks — not betrayal, just distance, just circumstance.

Then he buys a sheet of writing paper from a small shop on Mall Road, sits at the same wooden table where the whole book started, and writes a letter of his own. We don't find out who it's to. We don't find out what it says. The last line of the book is simply:

And somewhere, perhaps not immediately but eventually, it would cross.

I get asked about this constantly too: who is Jay writing to? I left it open on purpose, for the same reason I left the reunion open. The book spends 130-odd pages teaching Jay, and hopefully the reader, that some things don't arrive on schedule and don't arrive through official channels. They just eventually cross, if you're willing to keep writing without a guarantee. Jay picking up a pen at the end isn't about a specific person. It's about him finally believing that it's still worth doing.

Is it a happy ending?

I'd say yes, with a footnote. It's not a happy ending in the sense of a big reveal or a dramatic reunion scene. It's happy the way real endurance is quiet, a little worn, mostly just relieved. The line I wrote for that chapter is the one I'd point to if you want the actual thesis of the whole book:

Some letters were not lost. They were waiting.

That's it. That's the whole answer, if you want it in eight words instead of everything above.

📖 If you haven't read it yet, get Letters That Never Crossed Nainital on Goodreads →

And if you've already finished it and want to go back to where all of this started, here's the full breakdown of the missed meeting at the lake, the promise that, by the end, turned out to be worth keeping.

FAQs

Does Letters That Never Crossed Nainital have a happy ending?
Yes, though it's a quiet one. Aarav and Meera are shown decades later, married with grown children, reunited at the same lake where they first waited for each other. The book doesn't dramatize their reunion; it focuses on the after, not the mechanics of how they found their way back together.

How do Aarav and Meera get back together after the flood?
The book deliberately doesn't show this. The author has said this gap is intentional — the story shows the "before" (distance, waiting, undelivered letters) and the "after" (a reunion decades later) but leaves how exactly they reconciled open to the reader's interpretation.

What does the word "Delivered" mean at the end of the book?
Jay, the present-day post office worker, finds the original ledger entry for Aarav and Meera's undelivered letters still marked "Hold" from decades earlier. He crosses it out and writes "Delivered," symbolically closing a bureaucratic loop that reality had already resolved on its own.

Who is Jay writing to at the end of the book?
This is left unanswered on purpose. The epilogue shows Jay writing and posting a letter of his own after learning Aarav and Meera's story, but the recipient and content are never revealed — mirroring the book's larger theme that some things are worth sending without a guarantee they'll be received.

What is the last line of Letters That Never Crossed Nainital?
The book closes with the line "Some letters were not lost. They were waiting," a callback to an earlier line in the story that described the same letters as forgotten rather than waiting.

Where can I read Letters That Never Crossed Nainital?
It's available as an ebook. You can also add it on Goodreads to help other readers discover it.


If you've finished the book — what do you think happened in that gap? I'd genuinely love to hear your version. Tell me in the comments.

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.